Re: [AMC-List] Pacer Tranny

Jim

SNIP
Hi guys...
1. Does a 75 258 Pacer have a lockup tranny.....
2. I have a 76 258 with auto attached....not sure what it came out
of....will it fit...is it a lockup
Thanks,
Jim
SNIP

The engine transmission combinations in a Pacer are exactly
the same as used in all other AMC cars. Thus they will
interchange.

The Lock Up Torque Converter packages in the 904 transmission
that is the transmission used with the I-6 engines was first used
in 1980. Even then, if you had a 1980 transmission it would bolt
up to your 1975 or 1976 engine exactly correct and bolt into your
car.

For example, I am using a 1975 Pacer 258 engine, a 1980 Spirit
Lock Up Torque Converter 904 and the MOPAR Fuel Injection
conversion designed for Jeep applications from 1981 and newer
in my 1980 Spirit.

It all bolts up, fits and passes smog. The only physical differences
that I see is the longer oil dip stick, the metal heater hose from
the Pacer which I kept 'cause I though it was cool and looked
good and one heat shield that was on the 1980 engine that
protected  the drivers side back cts that was screwed into
the block from exhaust heat did not have a fitting on the
1975 engine, so I left it off.  Also the Pacer Motor Mounts were
removed and Spirit Motor mounts installed.

SNIP
the only new thing should be the lockup switch.
(Andrew)
Snip

Andrew, sorry, but what do you mean by this, are you referring
to some kind of a physical switch? Or are you referring to the fact
that the gearing is lower in first and second and that the lock
up function would be present?

John