Re: [AMC-List] painting with tremclad. and patience

Re: [AMC-List] painting with tremclad. and patience

In case no one looked at the thread Bryan posted, that's RUSTOLEUM
enamel in the US. Thin with 40% mineral spirits, and squeeze the roller
out good when rolling, wet sand between coats, starting with a 150 or so
grit and using finer paper as you go. It's cheap, the results seem
reasonably good, but it's VERY time consuming! One guy posted that after
the 5th coat he can paint his car (a 70s 2 door Duster, the size of a
late 60s American) in about 1.5 hours and has about three coats to go.
Figure 8 coats with an average of 2 hours (the first ones took a lot
longer), so 16 hours just in painting. Takes at least four hours to dry
enough for wet sanding. You COULD put on two coats in a day if you
pushed, but figure one coat with the time to sand -- figure an average
of two hours to sand as well. So that's a minimum of eight days to paint
a car, then you have to buff it out. 8x4=32 hours with no body work. I'd
probably figure 40 hours just to be sure everything is covered. That's
not that bad at all, really. Patience is the key here! In a month you
could have the car painted. Best to work one panel at a time, not try to
do the whole car at once. That would take longer though.

If you're patient and don't mind all the wet sanding you should get an
adequate paint job, at least as good as a $300 Maaco job. But if there's
a Maaco in your area, prep the car yourself and let them spray it. The
prep is what costs so much, but if not done properly paint won't stick
well and/or the surface won't be smooth. You're counting on your own
work. The more prep they do the higher the costs -- you get what you pay
for! I've wnet in and got a $250 paint job that ended up costing $800 --
I had them finish up what I started. Basically I did the first 2-3 coats
of bondo and the major repairs and they finished to a smooth surface
ready for paint. You can always do a final wet sand and buff yourself
for a better finish. I think that's the way to go, really.

The only way the DIY with a roller is going to pay off is if you're
doing a panel at a time -- repair and paint. Then it may be more
beneficial as you can do it all on your own schedule and take around a
year to paint it. Might work well for repair work too (at least one
fellow has done that). I may try it on the J-10 when I get around to
doing some of the rust repairs. But then it's just a work truck, and I
don't mind if there are some obvious repair spots.

But for those with way more time than money, looks like $100 in paint
and material should cover it...