[AMC-List] Urethane Bushing

Frank writes:

"Urethane is still a bit hard for this application -- you can feel
every hard bump right under your feet!! "

Guys, I've been passively following this thread and others in the past on the same subject and I got something that's been scratching at the back of my brain from day one.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  A stiff ride caused by transference via polyurethane bushings means more than a rough ride.  That energy you're feeling passed to your butt is coming via a section of the car that was NOT designed to sustain that transfer.  This is no different than expecting air shocks to support the extra load from a trailer that is never left at home.  I've seen metal fatigue and fail from just that application and it's not that different from expecting the connection point of the radius arm (strut rod) not to eventually fail from flex.

Okay, here we go.  I had a ?70 Hornet back in ?73 that underwent Massive modification, note the capital ?M?.  The mods started with the grille and continued throughout the car to the trim between the tail lights.  I stiffened the suspension every way I could think of and some ways no one, in their right mind, would.  The car handled like it was on rails and it was a pleasure to drive, hard, very hard.  1973 was not exactly a time of smooth roads or long sweeping corners like today.  More like rough was the norm and smooth was the exception.  I commuted with the car over a 14 mile stretch of road and cruised for entertainment.  I towed my buddy?s car to races, street and strip.  It only took about a year and a half for things to start to fail and in a big way.  The rear shocks came through into the trunk and if that wasn?t exciting enough the right front coil broke and I wasn?t sittin? at a stop sign.  All in all a real fun car, but it taught me a lesson about engineering, wh!
 o shoul
d get to drive the train and who should just get to blow the whistle on rare occasions.

I really like Tom's and/or Frank's recommendation for a half poly and half rubber bushing.  I don't know who thought of this first, but it's a good alternative to full poly and should lower the amount flex inflicted on the connection points.

Now I know everyone spends enough time under their cars to check for and notice metal fatigue so I'll not loose anymore sleep on the subject.  Just be careful when you start to think the engineers at AMC planned on us replacing rubber bushings with this stiff stuff and remember that's 35+ year old metal.

Getting? ready to step down now boss.  Steppin down now boss.  Backing away slowly now boss....

Jack