[AMC-List] Just when I thought it was safe...

[AMC-List] Just when I thought it was safe...

Okay, Okay!  She gets the Concord and I get to keep looking for another perfect parts car.  Gee Wiz, guys, y'all have stronger opinions and more to say about this than anything I have asked here, ever, hands down. LOL

Answering a few of the comments:

Jeff Reeves asked "Where are you at?"

Freeport, IL about 860 miles from you, but I'm not apposed to driving a bit to get good parts.

Justin Shelton sez: If the wife takes an interest in ANYTHING car-related, do exactly what she wants!

If I followed this advice without tempering I, or we, would own every car I showed her.  The AMC is strong in this one, it is.  Given half a chance she'd take over my 70 Hornet and the Spirit GT.  She'd be happy with a different one for each day of the week.  Since we live in the midst of 1000 tilled acres, none of it ours, save for seven, the collection is limited only by the hard surface storeage space.

Arfon offers: The right, semi-right and wrong aswer.

She'd be okay with what ever is decided as long as she gets a car that says AMC on it somewhere.  However the objective is to get all the cars as safe as possible and that means the best and most reliable systems, like disc brakes (power prefered).  I've put 2,000 of the almost 16,000 miles that are on the 70 Hornet with manual drum brakes and the adjustment from power discs to manual drums isn't fun for me and I know she would hate the transition.  So until the Hornet has power discs she won't drive it.

Might be a good time to mention, Barbie is 5'3" and 93 pounds.  She has a tough time carrying a 30 pack of Miller High Life.  I can't imagine her driving the Hornet and being safe with those brakes, but that's another topic.

KENT ANDERSON writes:  "You are a very lucky guy to have a lady who wants to get into the scheme of things."

Yes, yes I am!  With Barbie the only limiting factor is how much can we afford to spend on the habit.  She's not willing to help as much as she could, but that may be my fault.  I'm not a good teacher and I have strict standards for the work I do.  So I could stand some "mellowing."  With the growth of our AMC habit she will need to be more involved and take on some aspect of the projects as her own.  With the Concord we're up to seven.

Mark Price writes: "I vote that it appeared to be way to nice to part for a steering column and disc
brakes! Fix it up for her"

That seems to be the conscientious Mark.  In my defense, it started out to be more than just the column and brake system, there's the left fender that would go to the Spirit as well as parts of the exhaust system and interior pieces.  The Hornet needs a radiator, the neck is missing a piece, the brake system complete,  possibly the AC compressor and some interior pieces as well, like the seats.

In the end guys, I was not expecting this car to be as nice as it is.  Get this, I thought, "She won't be interested in saving this one."  Wrong again.

Thanks for all the input, the saves have it by a landslide.

Jack