Re: [AMC-List] T-96/T-14 OD swap

" Was the original T-96 a NON OD? All the info I've seen say that the
T-96-OD is the same length as the T-14-OD. If so, what drive shaft did
you use? How did you modify the tranny crossmember? Thanks for your
help, I'm going to do this swap in the next year."

-------------

Ray, the T-96 standard and T-96 w/OD are the same length. That's why the
standard trans has a long output shaft and housing. I guess it was
cheaper to spec a longer output than a longer driveshaft -- or maybe
just easier/faster on the assembly line to stock one driveshaft. That
could have been more cost effective than matching driveshafts to
transmissions even if the longer trans shaft/housing cost a little more.
One bin of driveshafts fits all applications is easy to maintain. The
M-35 trans uses the same driveshaft as the T-96. I swapped a T-96 and
M-35 torque tube axle with no problems -- direct bolt in. I've used a
T-96 OD trans from a torque tube car on an open drive American and used
the American driveshaft. It look a little funny with the big flange on
the back of the trans, but works with no problems. Just make sure
there's a good trans mount if you ever do that -- the flange is only
1/4" from the trans tunnel.