Re: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)

Re: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)

"While searching for truckarm info I stumbled on clamp on rear caliper
mounts! They wrap arouund the rear axle tube in two pieces and bolt
together, then use waht appears to be a 3/8" bolt drilled to actually
enter the axle tube to stop rotation. I'd addsome weld after finishing
the install to be sure, but it sure looks like an easy setup to allow
for aligning things before welding!

Does anyone know what GM calipers I would look for to gain an ebrake???
and
be not to god awfull expensive!"
------------------------
Make that a 3/8" FINE THREAD bolt, 1/2" long. That's what AMC used to
hold the spring seats on the torque tube axle tubes. I had raised
eyebrows when I first read "clamp on rear caliper mounts", but with one
or two bolts in the tube it should work well.

You need any GM rear caliper from a car that had rear disc brakes.
Cadillac El Dorados and Sevilles (older ones) are a good source in the
U-pick places, as they are often overlooked but use the same caliper as
Camaros and Firebirds. As for "not expensive"... same caliper, same
price for a rebuild.

Since these calipers mount the same as fronts, you can use front
calipers to get rear discs on the cheap. That leaves you with devising
other means for a park brake. You can get pinion mount setups that use a
small manual caliper. The same caliper is used on go-carts and such, and
is two piece. It can be mounted to clamp on the main rotor (or use two)
with a spacer made for the rotor thickness. That's what I intend to do
-- eventually (maybe?). No inspection requiring an emergency or park
brake, and I have an auto trans. Of course I know how to park with a
manual too, only used a park brake with a manual when I wanted to leave
it running in neutral. Park works fine for autos! I have a set of steel
chocks I keep in the wagon just in case, but have only used them when
changing a back tire on a hill.