Re: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> Make that a 3/8" FINE THREAD bolt, 1/2" long. That's what AMC used to
> hold the spring seats on the torque tube axle tubes. I had raised
> eyebrows when I first read "clamp on rear caliper mounts", but with one
> or two bolts in the tube it should work well.

The 3/8" bolt holding the spring seat to the axle tube,
on torque-tube cars, is under ZERO force; axle rotation is
stopped by the torque tube and the wishbones. All of the force
is vertical (spring), the bolt just locates it fore/aft.

But on the clamp-on disk brake setup Mark points out, the
brakes are trying to rotate that bracket on the axle tube;
that's a lot of force. I think the clamp on system is brilliant
though, it lets you get everything perfectly aligned, adjusted,
tested, before welding on. A bolt as pin, into the axle tube,
probably works, but seems long-term scary to me. Suspension
parts get soaked in water and crud, take a lot of forces,
and are largely ignored.