Re: [AMC-List] 64 American

" From: "L. D. Lyons" <ldlyons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am considering putting something other than a 196 in my 64 440 HDTP,
" can someone give me an idea on what would fit, I would love to put a v8
" in.

does your upper radiator support go straight across, or does it zigzag
in front of the radiator?  if it has the zig you can reverse the
radiator brackets moving it a couple of inches forward, and then
there's definitely enough room for a later six; this is what the
factory did in '65 for the 232.  you need the short waterpump and
pulley also used on '65-'74 jeeps iirc.  or - stock jeep 4.0 pulleys
are very tight to the block, maybe close enough to fit even with the
straight radiator support.  i'll bet you'd have to drop the mechanical
fan and go entirely with electric ones though.

my dream for a car like this was a 4.0 stroker [4.2/258 crank] backed
with a strong t5, and just to complete the driveline a '73-6 dart
8.25" rear end.  the stroker can easily be built to 250-270 hp with
lots of torque, even keeping the stock ecm.  there's a strokers group
on yahoo about this engine combo.