[AMC-List] Seven character serial numbers still used, 66-70s!!

[AMC-List] Seven character serial numbers still used, 66-70s!!

I've had some correspondence with a guy who has a 70 Javelin assembled
either by AMI (Australia) or the New Zealand assembly operation at
Christchurch (I forget the name...). I've also looked over some build
sheets for 70s cars for the US and Canada. It seems that AMC didn't
entirely drop their old serial number system from the 60s! The 70
Javelin has that type number for the VIN -- apparently NZ/Australia
didn't require a 13 character VIN. The international VIN standard (the
current 17 character VIN) didn't come about until 1981 as far as I can
tell (haven't done any recent research, just recalling from my AMC VIN
research). Anyone else seen an overseas assembled car, 66 or later, with
a seven character (letter and six number) serial number as the VIN?
There may be a plate on the car with a local VIN or serial number also.
Few overseas assembled cars will have a "Trim" number -- it should be
blank when upholstery was installed locally (all big operations).

Also -- if you look at a build sheet (for an example, see
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/, click on the "Production/Tech" tab,
then "Build Sheets", then scroll down for links to pics of some 68-71
sheets), you will see a "serial number" right under the sequence number.
The "sequence number" should correspond with the body number on the door
plate -- not the final assembly number. That serial number is like the
old serial numbers and should be a letter for body/engine type (might
just be body this late, since the VIN will specify engine) followed by
six digits. Beside this will be the order number, which should be a
sequential number for all cars (mixed). Eddie states that the serial
number is for engine (I think it's engine and body like the older serial
numbers), and the last six correspond to the VIN. Since he mainly
compared Javelin build sheets, if someone has others I'd like to know
the model and serial number on the build sheets, as well as the factory
engine size and carb. I'd like to have the same info for Javelins as
well. Eddie would appreciate a scanned copy of the build sheet if you
don't mind, or I'll forward to him if sent to me (unless you request the
info not be given out -- but I won't attach a name with any info).