Re: [AMC-List] Pulling an Axle

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Jim
"
" SNIP
" My buddy Brian (with the '82 Spirit) needs rear brakes, so we will be
" robbing the backing plates and drums from the spare D35 (they are 10" He
" has
" the expen$ive 9") I have, unless it's the correct width to fit? Anyone?
" '87
" XJ D35 in place of an '82 Spirit M15? (spring pads and brackets don't
" matter
" SNIP
" I dunno what the fit interchange is 'tween the 20 and 15 axle with the
" 10 and 9 inch brakes

afaik the housing ends are completely different.  the drums are the
same but the backing plates are not.

" but----my '80  AMX which is an I-6 car should have
" the model 15 rear axle and although I have not tried to verify that it
" does or not the literature for the thing says the rear gear is a value
" that was only offered on the 15 but it does have finned 10 inch brakes
" which were standard on the model 20 axle

afaik only i6 matadors and ambassadors got amc20 axles.  all other
sixes got amc15s.  your spirit should, and these would be the backing
plates brian needs.