Re: [AMC-List] AMBASSADORS (now trucks)

A: My stroker in the '84 J10 will do @20 mpg with LPG at $1.50 a gallon.
That equals @ 25 mpg on gasoline price wise. Not terribly fond of the smell
of oil burners. I don't think the QT would stand up to a weasel either. I
stretched the #@$* out of the old chain (with the O/D part time kit)
haulling stuff. Even a NP208 may be a bit weak for my plans (later I can do
a Dodge NP205 to the 727 lockup trans I have. Hoping to get the 1st and 2nd
lower gear sets with a slightly high stall and lockup at 55 mph with an
electric lock out for when I'm towing.
   The Hummer got a Chev TH400 or 700R4 trans (and that's TOOO Chevy for my
liking too! Just the thought of even a Chev 2 ton frame for my planned 4x4
tow and recovery truck doesn't make me happy)
   The '73 J4000 with TH400 O/D QT, 3.73 gears and 33" tires nets me @ 17mpg
now. It'll pull a house down if I can attach it right and the tcase chain
doesn't slip!

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] AMBASSADORS (now trucks)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"    I figure I need a small truck for the lighter stuff and
getting in and
" out of my cabin (20 mpg isn't too bad) and as soon as my '84
J10 is done,
" I'll be able to sell the modded '73 J4000 or turn it into a
flatdeck tow
" truck (wish I could find an M715 frame with the 12' bed
option! I won't be
" as happy with a GM 2 ton conversion and FSJ cab)
"
" Jim Blair, Seattle, WA '84 J10 Black Jack (getting lifted and
stroked!), '73
" J4000 304/TH400/QT tow truck http://www.virtualjeep.com

another possibility for more mileage, if you have a j with a
th400, is
swap the amc motor for a gm 6.2/6.5 diesel.  it's the motor in
the
hummer...  my friend the engine man drives a 4wd diesel suburban
and
gets in the 20s.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought