Re: [AMC-List] AMBASSADORS (now trucks)

As Tom pointed out, I think if you look in cities and over the country
in general you'll find 74-80% of light trucks and SUVs rarely, if ever,
used to haul anything. I don't mean the occasional trip to pick up a new
piece of furniture or something like that, but what they were meant for.
In some parts of the country, like VA hills, people are a bit more
sensible about using a truck and a car. Some places (like mountainous
regions) actually have a good reason for a small to medium sized 4x4 SUV
due to weather conditions -- and impracticality of owning two
(summer/winter) vehicles. Then there are the people who tow often enough
that they need the capacity, then drive the vehicle at other times to
avoid the cost of owning two vehicles. With reasonable gas prices ($2.05
a gallon is cheaper than I thought it would be now, I was praying for
$2.50!!) that's not an unreasonable idea -- especially if parking is at
a premium. Insurance and maintenance on another vehicle, unless it's an
older beater, would be more than gas costs. I'm not unreasonable, there
are plenty situations that justify a big vehicle, just not nearly as
many as are out there. It's simple -- the US makers can't compete with
others so make a new category they can still excel in -- for a time. Now
the others are hitting them there. So what's next? Better engineering
finally? I think it will come, like it finally id in the late 70s/early
80s, but will it be to late? Mahoney is in the best position to comment
on that, but I think the answer is "it might be".

My cousin stated he didn't know what he was gonna do when the gas prices
went up so much over the summer. He "needed" his Expedition to cart his
wife and two (small) kids around!! When they traveled the wife and kids
take a lot of luggage... THAT MUCH!!!???  I laughed. Told him to go buy
something like a Liberty and one of those small streamlined trailers
painted to match. Then when he needed the room he'd have it, but
wouldn't have to drag it around all the time. I think he was considering
it. I was joking around, but it's not a bad idea...