[AMC-List] Looks like I have a J-10!

Won this one on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320038432091&rd=1,1
If that doesn't work try searching for item #320038432091.

Doesn't look like much, but I called the owner. He bought it 12 years ago and has been using it for light hauling and some snow plowing. He says he plowed a couple parking lots on average 2-3 times a year. The timing chain was replaced a year ago, probably the jerking back and forth from plowing caused it to stretch, though stretch isn't unusual at 85-90K miles. Looks like I may have paid a bit much, but in the last four years everything but the shortblock has been replaced or rebuilt. Trans (T-176 four speed), transfer case (NP-208), front axle u-joints, and driveshaft u-joints (front and rear). It was painted a couple years ago. He says there are a couple spots bubbling under the paint on the bed where he sand blasted rust areas then the paint shop let it sit for a couple weeks before painting. Might just be moisture coming through from the back. I'm going to let him keep and sell the plow since I have no need for it. In return I'm going to ask if he'll throw in the cap he!
  said h
e'd let me have for $200 or so if I wanted it. I'd have to have had most of that work done over the next few years, and probably cost me more if I'd got a $1000-$1500 truck. I think I'll be ahead of the game in the long run by spending a bit more than I wanted. I was going to just look at some F-150 six cylinder four and five speeds if this fell through because I need something I can drive right away with only minor work. Have to make arrangements to go get it now. Will be driving it back to Delaware! Funny thing is is was purchased from someone in Delaware 12 years ago...

There is another J-10 on e-bay that appears to be in decent condition, but not run much for a while. It's a 360 w/four speed. It's going cheap! The 360 turns over but owner says he can't get it to actually start, and hasn't had time to do any trouble shooting. The real sticky point is he has no title. I can get a title, and would have went and looked at it if it were a bit closer and I had more time before I wanted to use a truck. A three hour drive from Dover to go look at something I'd need to go over before driving much is to far. Not sure what condition brakes and such are in, so driving it back (assuming not running is a minor problem) would be a bit iffy at best! Someone closer with a few hours to work on it or a trailer would have a pretty decent truck. Looks all original, the 63K miles might be original -- sure doesn't look like 163K (unless it's been on the highway a lot!). Just my opinion -- haven't talked to the guy!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"