Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 9, Issue 51 AMBASSADORS (now trucks)

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Mark Price wrote:

> I use my truck for a truck when it needs to be used.
> Using a truck to tow a trailer is not babying it!
> Very few Of the people in my circle of friends and family don't use a truck for a truck!

Well, we're not exactly ordinary car drivers though!

> Frank, Your numbers are reveresed in my experience.

Come to Los Angeles -- the problem is MONSTROUS. I think between
the coasts, trucks are not treated radically differently than
they were 5, 10, 15 year ago, but in cities trucks are a scourge.

Something like 80% of U.S. population is in cities, don't forget.

I honestly believe 1/3 to 1/2 the cars beside me on my 45 mile
each way commute are half-ton trucks or SUVs. It's insane,
and the result of marketing alone. NONE of them ZERO even get
dirty. Shinier than my (cheaply painted) Hornet.

If I think of it, I'll take a photo of typical medium (not
worst-case) commute traffic. You never really see that (because
it's boring! :-) but it's shocking, the number of huge gas
guzzlers at 75mph.

> I once spend months prepping out my everyday driver 84 Mustang GT. Did it up in White acrylic enamel with red accents, Walked into the shop the next morning and thought, "crap, all that work, now I have to wax it and keep it clean".
> My drivers get a lot less attention now :]

I've discovered this same thing! My ratty-looking Rambler
is the MOST FUN CAR I've ever owned, ahnds down. I drive it
through brush down dirt roads. It gets washed and rinsed, but
the flat-sanded paint wouldn't take wax anyways. The hornet
likes wash'n'wax, and I'm doing that, but I don't think I'll
make a shiny car like this again (famous last words).