Re: [AMC-List] FREEEE

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Joe wrote:

> Doc i know how you feel. I have tried to sell a 1967
> 343(needs rebuilt). NO replies/offers at all??? I also
> had several guys call/email supposedly wanting the
> GOOD 360 4bbl i advertised. Several called ,several
> said they were coming or sending $$$ to hold it.

While it's certain that some people are flakes, it's hard to
haul around and repair 600 lb motors in your yard.

It's tough out there. If I had more space, I'd keep more things
like that, and also not have to worry about getting rid of stuff.
I think the problem is everyone is in the same boat; a lot of
stuff, and space is unfortunately becoming more expensive.

(High real estate prices kill actual culture; nearly
all of the informal clubs, collective projects, cafes and
project-oriented group households I knew in San Francisco in
the 1980's died/closed up due to 10X real estate prices, just
for one example.)

I pass up things I'd want/need, only to find a year or two or
three later I'm hunting for that very thing. Usually the reason
is space; I just can't keep enough stuff.

Engines are large and heavy, greasy and dirty, but they
deteriorate stored outside even covered. It makes it harder.

I have only three engines stored here, two outside. They're
greased, but surface rust is growing. I'm thinking of tearing
them down into parts (they're all once-running rebuild cores) so
I can store cranks etc inside and greased/wrapped blocks outside,
but that runs into the other precious commodity -- time :-)

It's not even a money issue; I'd "packrat" stuff just because
it's useful to someone, and trade/give away/sell at cost to
fellow AMCers.

I feel your frustration!