Re: [AMC-List] Ambassadors (getting past EPA/DOT)

Re: [AMC-List] Ambassadors (getting past EPA/DOT)

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" >>
" it is with morbid amusement that i see japanese companies successfully
" import their suvs as -cars- but get them past the epa and dot etc as
" -trucks-.
" <<
"
" The rise of such instances is why the EPA/DOT (one or the other, or
" both) have at least started thinking about changing requirements for
" light trucks to be the same as for cars. To many people use light trucks
" (3/4 ton pickups and under) for regular passenger conveyance. Ask some
" truck owners to haul something for you (say a washing machine you just
" bought) and they'll have a fit! "Not in my 440K truck -- might scratch
" the plastic bed liner, and I'd have to unfasten the tonneau cover too!!"
" I think it would be a great change, say anything under 10K GVW (a 3/4
" ton pickup would weigh at least 6K -- 4K or so of truck, 1.5K payload,
" and an extra 500 lbs of passengers) regardless of type meets the same
" EPA/DOT standards. With today's technology there isn't a lot of
" difference in power output like there used to be.

this has been needed ever since the rise of suvs in popularity.

i'd like to see an exemption for tradesmen - contractors, plumbers,
electricians, etc - but not for all small owner businesses - lawyers
or realtors for example.  give folks who -need- a work truck a break.