[AMC-List] pulling an axle

Last word on this- forgot to mention checking the end
play. The TSM will show you how to do this or an older
Motors manual. Don't rely on Clymers or Chiltons as
they seem to be short on this info. Inserting the axle
isn't hard as the splines go into each other easily
and as stated they may resist a little as the excess
grease needs to be squeezed out. Another reason to
remove the cover so you can guide the axle better.
They are not fragile critters in there, but if you
just stick in the axles and pound away you may chip a
spline, it's happened before (who me? I never!!).
Why not pull both axles, replace all the bearings and
seals at the same time, adjust your rear brakes and
clean things up real nice. Paint the axle a purty
black and get one of those purty chrome or finned
covers. You know the spring bushings are right at your
elbow and I bet the shocks need replacing.
What the heck, toss in a locker......Russ