Re: [AMC-List] Help pulling hub and axle 60 Rambler

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, johnny kazek wrote:

>    Actually found new wheel hub for 60 Rambler and started trying to
>    pull it today.   Although it's slipped and spins freely, it won't pull
>    off easily, budges about 1/8".    Don't want to force it, and was
>    advised to pull axle anyway.    Don't understand what's keeping it
>    from slipping right off.

I assume you mean, the four bolts holding th brake backing plate,
etc to the axle tube?

If so, pull hard! It won't hurt anything -- the pressed-on
tapered bearings pressed onto the axle shaft are pullin against
the bearing race that sits into a counterbored hole in the axle
tube. THAT is held in place by the rectangular plate behind
the backin plate.

If it's hard to get off, assuming the car is on jack stands
loosely bolt a wheel on with a couple of lugs and slam-pull it
by hand.  The added mass might do it.

It' sprobably all stuck with gasket sealer, rust, dirt, etc.

Try not to pry between the bearin retainer plate and the axle
tube; you'll just ding it up and not really get enough torque
in there anyways to get the job done.

NOTE ALSO! one side has shims -- you need to save those and
reinstall. If you pry in there you'll wreck 'em. Theyre in only
one side, I forget if driver or pass. RTFM that TSM! YOu have
one, right?

With the axle nut INSTALLED, a slide-hammer axle puller would
work here, since you're just tryin to unstick the bearing race
and gooped retainer.

Then of course you'll have to get the old hub off. Assuming
the nut is off, I'd just take it to a shop with a big arbor
press. If it's spun, all sorts of nastiness could have gone on
in there. The key probably gouged out a nice little donut-shaped
home in the hub for itself and doesnt want to come out.

I hope the axle is still OK!