[AMC-List] t-5 into my 62 classic

sorry for the delay in posts. satalite internet in iraq is spotty and we had a bad storm come thru that messed things up ontop of that. anyway... onto the amc goodies.

  you were correct. it is a 62 classic it is going into. my 196 is startin to wheez something fierce. she tries to run great, but the oil smoke comin out the exhaust. especially starting out at a stoplight. the valve guides are gone from the unleaded fuel and no lead substitute availible. was bound to happen over time. rebuild is in the plans for it then put it away in the corner for later times.   IN THE MEAN TIME...

  i want a healthy 304 put in, with a t-5. all bolt in, no major surgery so i can go back to stock if i so choose. i have a bellhousing out of an 80's jeep with a 6cyl and t-5. i have also been able to sorce a t-5 crossmember/tranny mount for a mustang. already to go with brand new bushings and everything. i have had to move my t-96 shifter onto the floor. i will have to close up that hole. i have the factory 50/50 bench seat in it that makes the bed. i am keeping it that way just because of the "wow factor" that it gets at the shows. i will need to see if i have just barly enough room to put the mustang one in as is, (mostlikely not) or scrounge around and find an s10 tail shaft. (pukes at the thought of that gm part goin into the rambler)   also, there has been a thought of notching the front seats out just a little of the frames to make room for a regular mustang shifter, putting it right there close by.

  so am i correct in understanding that a mustang sorced t-5 from 93 and earlier will fit that jeep bellhousing as long as i get the right front bearing retainer?? that input shaft length that is. the clutch, maybe a RAM?? i dont have much experience in anything other than good old autozone stock replacement clutches. anyone with a good recomendation for a good clutch just a little grippier than stock ill consider. anyway, thanks everyone for all the help. will post more when i can.

  by the way, im looking for somewhere i can post pics for people to see of the car. i sent frank some pics of it. we need to have somewhere we can all show off our amc cars together. like myspace. i do have one of them. www.myspace.com/62classic if anyone would like to see.

  dave stohler
  camp taji iraq