Re: [AMC-List] What type of AT does a Gladiator have? -- I want one! (or

Re: [AMC-List] What type of AT does a Gladiator have? -- I want one! (or Comanche)

The 230 OHC used a Borg-Warner M-8 (AS-8F) auto according to the IFSJA
site.
(http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.html)
That's a cast iron trans, predecessor to M-10/11/12. AMC used the M-8 in
the early 60s behind the 327. I think it has a vacuum modulator, not
positive.
Jeep 327s used the "universal" (nailhead) pattern TH-400 and adapter. As
Mark says, I've never seen one, but I'm sure there were a few 232s with
the TH-400 running around at one time. Most of those old J-trucks got
used/abused and thrown away -- 20 years later! I've been looking for
one, and just let one slip away!! The one I looked at about a week and a
half ago is gone. Took me that long to decide I really would like to
have one!

Anyone know of a J-10 or older six cylinder stick shift J-truck that
hasn't been re-axled and lifted (lift I can undo, but I want the high
geared axles, no 4.10s, prefer the 80s 2.73s -- it has a low range in
the t/case if needed!) within a couple hours or so of Dover? I've found
a couple, but all are 360 auto, except for one J-20 in PA that was
converted to a 258 four speed -- w/4.10 gears. Not something I want to
drive on the highway! At this point I'll consider an auto six cylinder
or 304 powered truck. I'll even consider a 360 stick shift/327 stick or
auto.

I'm looking for a runner, ready to drive with minor work, but doesn't
have to look good at all (just not beat/rusted to near death!). Ideally
it would be around $1000, but I'll look at higher priced trucks. I'll
consider a Comanche also -- six cylinder four or five speed, 2 or 4 WD.
The only thing I found nearby is an 86 w/2.8L. I'm thinking about it,
but really don't want to mess with the little V-6. Would get an EFI
conversion or 3.1/3.4 conversion if I had it, but that's more than I
want to mess with. Would rather put the extra Renix EFI system I have on
a 258!