Re: [AMC-List] 196 ohv performance camshaft

Re: [AMC-List] 196 ohv performance camshaft

Just be careful if you get another (new or used) cam!! AMC played around
with the late model 196. In 63 they changed the cam bearing sizes and
oil delivery was also changed to prevent pumping to much to the head as
roads in the US improved and sustained high speed (60+ for an hour or
more) driving was more common. That's easy to spot -- if the oil line to
the T in the head (goes into head at T, then on to filter) comes from
the main oil galley (the hump along the bottom right side of the block),
it's a pre 63. If the oil line comes from the flat of the block just
above the main galley, it's a 63-65. Oil on those is metered through a
flat spot in the front cam journal. Oil is delivered to the head only
over about 1/4th of the cam rotation/ limiting flow to the head. On
older models it wasn't a problem because they were seldom ran at high
speeds for long. I was alerted by a fellow who bought a cam from Kanter
a few years ago and noticed he wasn't getting any oil to the head. He
switched oil source and everything was fine since this was a resto and
not something driven at highway speeds for long. I notified Kanter of
the problem and the fix. It's easy enough to have a machine shop
duplicate the flat -- it could be done with a grinder and emery cloth to
polish the cam journal if you're careful and have an old cam to use as
an example. I don't recall if the flat is over the entire journal or
just a portion of it, or if it's more of a slot in the center of the
journal. Kanter replied and said they'd let their customers know of the
difference and the fix. A Hollander's manual lists the engine number the
cam bearing and cam change started with. Maybe Andrew Hay can look that
up for us?