Re: [AMC-List] Not the AM Macaren

A: On the one Fiero I dealt with that was overheating due to trapped air, I
drilled the head near the thermostat and put in a bleeder valve kit (from a
Honda Civic) that let the air out. Redline Water Wetter was also conducive
to dropping the underhood temps.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Not the AM Macaren
To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" SNIP
" Also don't overlook how GM's V-8-into-I-4 adventures later
affected AMC.
" SNIP
" http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/engine_I4_XJ.gif
"
" I bought a 1987 Pontiac Fiero, something on the order of
12,000 miles or
" so, one year old, and less than 8 grand cash at the time. The
little I-4
" with some form of fuel injection a 5 speed (Believe it might
have been a
" Susuki)

might've been a getrag.  the later z34's box was, and there was
some
sort of deal there -- the nv3500 tranny evolved out of a getrag
design
made under license by muncie.

" and black. This was another example of the Generals complete
" inability to market a car. What a fun little beasty this thing
was.

oh yeah.  it was canned after the '88 year - when they finally
ditched
the chevette front end for the design it always should have had
-
because 'nobody wants a car like that'.  the next year, toyota
introduced the mr2.

if the fiero had lasted just a year or two longer they could've
added
a z34 model with the twin-dual-cam 3.4...  it's a popular swap
and
according to one place that does a variety of fiero motor
trades, the
3.4 has the best sound, if not the most power.

" Multiple re-calls on the thing having to do with overheating.
Another
" clever screw up. The radiator fill and the over flow tank was
under the
" hood.  It was situated lower than the cylinder head there for
any kind
" of leak or failure to burp the system caused an air lock in
the cylinder
" head thus no cooling, thus overheating.

the fiero wasn't the only car afflicted with this sort of
cooling
screwup.  some cars almost had to be stood on their bumpers to
burp
their coolant systems.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought