Re: [AMC-List] Not the AM Macaren

---- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> " From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
> "
> " SNIP
> " Also don't overlook how GM's V-8-into-I-4 adventures later affected AMC.
> " SNIP
> " http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/engine_I4_XJ.gif
> "
> " I bought a 1987 Pontiac Fiero, something on the order of 12,000 miles or
> " so, one year old, and less than 8 grand cash at the time. The little I-4
> " with some form of fuel injection a 5 speed (Believe it might have been a
> " Susuki)
>
> might've been a getrag.  the later z34's box was, and there was some
> sort of deal there -- the nv3500 tranny evolved out of a getrag design
> made under license by muncie.

I too think it was a Getrag designed box, GM did seem to do well with those boxes. I don't recall doing many repairs at all on them.

> " and black. This was another example of the Generals complete
> " inability to market a car. What a fun little beasty this thing was.
>
> oh yeah.  it was canned after the '88 year - when they finally ditched
> the chevette front end for the design it always should have had -
> because 'nobody wants a car like that'.  the next year, toyota
> introduced the mr2.
>
> if the fiero had lasted just a year or two longer they could've added
> a z34 model with the twin-dual-cam 3.4...  it's a popular swap and
> according to one place that does a variety of fiero motor trades, the
> 3.4 has the best sound, if not the most power.

Another engine that would have definitely been fun in the Fiero would have been the Quad four HO engine! still a fourcyl, but what 4 cyl! WAHOOWA! I did like the Quad fours! Most everyone here knows I don't like GM much but giving credit where credit is due the quad four was a fun little four cyl.

> " Multiple re-calls on the thing having to do with overheating.  Another
> " clever screw up. The radiator fill and the over flow tank was under the
> " hood.  It was situated lower than the cylinder head there for any kind
> " of leak or failure to burp the system caused an air lock in the cylinder
> " head thus no cooling, thus overheating.
>
> the fiero wasn't the only car afflicted with this sort of cooling
> screwup.  some cars almost had to be stood on their bumpers to burp
> their coolant systems.

lots of car manufacturers have cooked up overheating monsters.
I think they all slipped on thru at some time or another!