Re: [AMC-List] Not the AM Macaren/Transmission.

Re: [AMC-List] Not the AM Macaren/Transmission.

List,

SNIP
> might've been a getrag.  the later z34's box was, and there was some
> sort of deal there -- the nv3500 tranny evolved out of a getrag design
> made under license by muncie.
SNIP
Actually it wasn't.
According to the TSM for the thingy, there were two transmissions
available and the 4 cylinder model
had a Japanese 5 speed installed in it. Makes no difference though, it
worked well and was fun to
drive and seemed to be well matched to the power of the Iron Duke engine
although the over rev. ckt
would shut the engine off just a smidge before where I wanted to shift
it.
Also it had a shift now light on the dash board in one of those well
thought out and intelligent designs
in the well intentioned but utterly stupid efforts to have improvements
in fuel economy. Once I found
out what wire drove the light a pair of side cutters took care of the
irritating thing.
As far as alternative engines that were available I myself liked the
iron duke motor and that was one
of the reasons I bought that particular car. There was plenty of
aftermarket stuff for it and much of it
was smog legal. Although I never used any of it.
I will agree with Mark on the potential of the Quad 4 I will also
comment that I rented a Pontiac Coupe
on vacation one year just to have and drive one. I hated the way it ran
and at the time would not have
bothered to spend time and money to get one installed. The Iron Duke
motor quite frankly made me
happy at the time.
I eventually sold the Fiero and bought an IROC Z28 T Top car that made
me happier.
John.