[AMC-List] production numbers

Date: Thursday, October 5, 2006 10:19 AM
From: Wayne E LaMothe <superglider@xxxxxxxx>

Reading the current issue of AIM got me to thinking about production
numbers.  The Javelins sold in Aussie land were stamped at Kenosha and
shipped as a "kit" to Australia.  Do they count as Kenosha numbers or do
they have a foreign build plate?  Likewise, do the cars produced in
foreign countries (VAM et al) count as part of a total production run?
VAM produced a Gremlin based car (forgot what they called it) and are
they reflected in the production numbers for AMC?  I doubt it.  I had
always assumed that the AMC production numbers for Kenosha and Brampton
reflected total production but might there be a lot more AMC or AMC
derived products out there than what we think?
----------------------

The "knocked-down" kits were produced at Kenosha. The body numbers count
against whichever body plant they came from -- Kenosha or Milwaukee. The
kits DO NOT have a final assembly number (the unlabeled number at the
bottom of the door tag), so don't count as Kenosha production. The
production sheets count them separately, and they have separate serial
numbers prior to 66. I'm not positive how the serial/VIN was handled
after 1966. I haven't paid any attention to late 66 or later Aussie cars
-- maybe someone over there can send us the VIN from a 67-71 AMI car?
The K-D kits have the same plates from the factory as US made cars.
There is no trim number for cars sent without upholstery (all or at
least most of the AMI and South African assembled cars -- in fact, I
know of no K-D cars that were sent with upholstery, though some of the
early ones likely were).

The VAM cars were totally built in Mexico, though some of the early ones
may have been K-D cars from Kenosha. Bodies and all were built in the
Mexicao City plant, so they don't count in US production at all. Neither
do the Argentine cars. Those may have different ID plates in different
locations as well. I think the VAM cars correspond to US specs as far as
the door tags, the IKA cars have a different plate -- not sure of
location off the top of my head, but I've seen the plate. Can't remember
tag configuration right now, but it's similar to the Renault assembled
cars. Renault was a partner with IKA later, that's the only plate I've
seen (no pre-Renault ones). Speaking of Renault, the cars assembled by
Renault in Belgium were K-D cars IIRC.