Re: [AMC-List] 82 Spirit Tranny?

If the tranny is indeed a five-speed (four speed SR-4s
were used about this time too) it is an early "non
world class" T-5.

snip>

>From a Jeep offroad site:

The T-5 is a light duty transmissions five speed
transmission that looks very similar to the SR-4 and
T-4, except for the buldge the shift lever housing for
the overdrive. The T-5 also looks about 10% bigger all
around than the 4 speeds. This transmission was
manufactured by Borg-Warner and may say Ford on the
top cover. The case is aluminum and has a casting
numbers on the drivers side of 13-52. The T-5 has a 1
1/8" 10 spline input shaft and a 23 spine output
shaft.

Snip>

Even if you don't want to keep the tranny, I would
advise hanging onto the bellhousing and clutch pedal
set-up in case you want to put a stronger T-5 (85? or
later) into an AMC.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA