Re: [AMC-List] 82 Spirit tranny?

It is the only one that fits the 82-83 two wheel drive cars correctly.
It has a different shifter placement then any other trans  except Chevette. The Chevette has a shorter over all length.
The trans is non world class, but if in good overall condition will do fine in a driver.
It has a 4-1 first gear and your best to stay with 2:79 or higher rear axle.
3:08 in a pinch with 14" tires.
I have one in mine with 255/60/15's and 3:31 axle. Makes for a quick short first gear. Mine is behind my 95 4.0L with EFI in my 69 American and has held up fine so far.
It is coming out to be replaced with a World class 2.95 first gear trabs as soon as I can get fit enough to do it! I will be putting the AMC tailhousing onto the Ford trans to keep the same shifter placement.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net