[AMC-List] Spirit U-joints

Hey, all,

I had a chance to get back under the Spirit last night and here is what I found.

First the movement wasn't as much as I first thought, but still any is not normal.  I took the retainer straps off and pulled the joint from the yoke.  Everything is really grungy in this area from a pinion seal leak.  I cleaned everything up and found that the retainer straps have been over tightened a time or two making for a loose cap to yoke fit for so long it actually worn marks into the straps.  The nubs in the yoke appear to worn as well, but only about .010 each for .020 to .025 actual total slop.  I resurfaced the mating area of the straps removing .025 or so to give me more squishnocity on the u-joint caps.  On reassembly I inserted a .010 feeler gage on one side to center the joint in the yoke.  This should probably be okay, but I'll keep my eye out for a replacement yoke as that seems to be where the failure lives.

It's a 10 bolt or (AMC 15?) rear end, are they all alike.  I have a 71 parts car.....

Jack