Re: [AMC-List] 1988 Eagle Premier

Rhett,

I just changed the A/C compressor clutch on my 96 Ram last weekend. It
wasn't that bad of a job (it took me about 3 hours, an hour of which was
getting the pulley off). It would have gone much faster if A) I had a
wrench the right size to get the fan off the engine so I could get the fan
shroud out of the way (a problem you're not going to have) and B) the
puller I rented from AutoZone had deep enough jaws to fit on the pulley
(it's on there with a light press fit). I also rented a clutch holding tool
which worked great for the old clutch but not for the new one (this also
added time to the work). The only other special tool I needed was a pair of
snap ring pliers. The only really bad part of the job was not being able to
get the part from anyone except a dealer and it was $219 plus tax.

All this being said, I would try and find out what exactly it will take to
fix this. Being that the car in question is front wheel drive, the
compressor could be in an evil place. Also, my experience was with a Sanden
R-134a compressor which is most likely not what's on this car.

Matt

At 12:03 PM 9/27/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello all! I'm looking at getting an a-b type car for not much money, and I
>found a 1988 Eagle Premier ES for sale.
>
>The problems are a burnt-out "air compressor clutch" and a driver's seat
>belt buckle that needs to be replaced. Is this "air compressor clutch" a
>part to the air conditioning? Is the vehicle otherwise driveable with this
>problem until I would get it fixed?
>
>Apparently, the car has all service records since new and has 140k on the
>clock. I've owned an AMC before and used to be a regular on this list about
>5 years ago. If anyone can provide me some advice, that'd be great.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rhett
>
>or go to http://www.amc-list.com

mhaas@xxxxxxx