Re: [AMC-List] Alternative to Carter for Spirit GT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, jackbarncord@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Okay, so an early 318 2bbl carb, sounds good, but let me ask this, what about a slant six 2bbl?  The 318 would be jetted for larger cubes and the 225 "super six" carb, I would think, should be jetted more conservatively.  Does it share the same intake pattern?  One could always play with jet sizing and there has to be a ton of those carbs out there somewhere.

Here's my personal (Your Mileage May Vary) take on used carbs.

--> They're all 30+ years old. Buy a new one! :-)

Even rebuilds are a problem; places like Tomco flooded the
market with crap work done on lousy cores.  Being a really
critical part, you want a good one.  If you can find a good
one (I hunted for used Chry carbs to no avail here) go for it
of course.

But I seem to have problems finding stuff like this in socal,
that people in the east (U.S.) don't. I think it's two-fold:
one, there's more AMCs sold east than west; and cars end up
in yards due to rot out there, where here, cars get driven
(no salt, no rust) til they stop running.

I ended up with a Weber -- used from eBay. But it was a Jeep
Weber conversion, so it was 5? or whatever years old, not 30.

> Let me try to communicate clearly, this is a stretch
> for me.  The rear u-joint slides side to side in the
> differential yoke as if the cross is too short (narrow) by
> .075 to .100".  It slides between the two retainer tabs on

Wrong part!!