Re: [AMC-List] Drive line questions.

" From: " Russell T. Neyhart" <rtneyhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hello,
"
" I've a few questions concerning the running gear in my Eagle.  Has
" anyone done or heard of a 4.0 swap in an Eagle?  How similar, or
" dissimilar, is the NP119 transfer case from the NP129/NVG129?  Could
" the NP119 (or possibly the 129) and the front & rear differentials
" handle a more powerful 4.0?  Would a short header for a
" Cherokee/Wagoneer run into clearance problems?  From my limited (thus
" far) research, I have found that the NP119 and 129 share the viscous
" coupling design.

yes, the 4.0 swap has been done.  the 4.0 block even has the mounting
lugs for the eagle diff even though no jeep ever used them.

i don't know detail differences but the np118/119/128/129 are all one
family, and the np218-229 2sp differ principally in adding a low
range.  [15 years ago, a friend put a np219 low range unit into his
eagle, so he could walk his 2-axle boat trailer up his steep driveway]
some have viscous couplings, some don't.  iirc some have open diffs.

the f&r diffs are essentially the same as the standard cherokee and
wrangler ones.  the only significant difference is larger rear axle
shafts.  they also can have mopar 8.25", less common dana 44, or rare
amc20 hd axles, and iirc mj comanche rears are an easy swap to the
eagle except that one has staggered shock mounts and the other
doesn't, so one mount would have to be moved.  and the driveshaft
would probably have to be snipped a bit.

dunno about the header, but a long-tube design would pay you back more
in performance.

" I'd like to build up a 4.0 liter for use in my Eagle, but still have
" the capability to switch between 2WD and 4WD, and not kill the rest
" of the running gear.  I want to hop-up my Eagle, but keep within the
" spirit (pun intended) of the car's design.

do you know about 4.0 strokers?  check out the strokers group at
yahoogroups.  250+ hp and 300+ ft-lbs are pretty easy to achieve with
minimal outlay.

what do you have for a tranny?  if it's an auto you'll probably want
to beef it up with a police/taxi or tow/rv shift setup.  if it's a
stick i'd suggest rebuilding it with ford svt t5 gears, and an
aftermarket 0.80 5th, and a 5speeds.com countershaft stabilizer.  [it
may be easier to get an svt t5 and have it rebuilt with the eagle
mainshaft and extension case]

another point if you have an auto - while pre-'95 jeeps have
'standalone' trannies, '96-up obdII jeeps integrate tranny control
into the ecm.  but the wrangler 32re is essentially an electronic
version of the tf998 you have, so you could lift an entire wrangler
4.0, tranny, ecm, and harness for your eagle swap.