Re: [AMC-List] '62 Ambassador with 327 - starter wiring question

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Justin Shelton wrote:

> I got a '62 Ambassador, 327 with AT, yesterday
> morning.

I had a 62 Ambassador 400, 327 and push-button trans, 2nd
favorite car I ever had!

First:

> When I was under the car looking at the starter, I see
> that a blue wire off the starter is cut.  Also, when I
> etc

Might be a problem there, but if the starter motor turns when
you turn the key, this is not the problem. Ignore for now.

> I can hear a muffled, very fast "th-th-th-th-th" from
> the area where the starter is, but it is as if the
> starter gear is not engaging.  It was not the typical
> failed solenoid single click sound.

Of course its hard to put sounds into text, but is it the sound
of a fat electric motor spinning, that winds down to zero after
you turn the key off? Or some other noise?

If I recall, that motor doesn't use a Bendix type starter, but an
overrunning clutch type. There's probably a fat lump on the side
that is the solenoid that pushes the pinion gear into the ring
gear. The starter motor shaft is splined and the pinion slides on
it. The solenoid has a fork that pushes the pinion into the ring.

You have a TSM, right?

If the starter motor whirs, but the solenoid doesn't pull in
all the way, it won't turn the 327 over. I forget how all the
wiring goes, but if this is happening, and you didn't rewire
it recently, and nothing fell off or burned up, it's not wiring.

I think the rule of thumb with these starters is, you never
throw out old ones, and keep a spare around! You can get it
rebuilt, but may have a hard tim egettin one from AUtoZone
(though they always surprise me).

You can thump the solenoid hard with a rubber hammer (to jar it,
not dent it!) or take it out and clean and grease it. RTFM!
I had one that didn't like to pull in in cold weather, for
example.

I forget how they wear out.

> I have put the car into "L" and rocked the car back
> and forth,

Useless. It';s fluid coupled! Push at 30 mph and put into 2nd.

You are correct, there is a vacuum sensor switch screwed into
the intake manifold; it grounds the wire when there is NO
vacuum, eg.  engine vacuum OPENS the switch.  If the starter
motor runs this switch is fine. If it fails, it will be like
pressin NEUTRAL/start with the car off and key out -- complete
silence. (You can jumper that wire to ground in a pinch,
though the starter will grind when you push NEUTRAL with the
car running if you jumper it out.)