[AMC-List] '62 Ambassador with 327 - starter wiring question

[AMC-List] '62 Ambassador with 327 - starter wiring question

Hi, Guys:

I got a '62 Ambassador, 327 with AT, yesterday
morning.

The car has a rebuilt engine, beautiful and
sparklingly clean. The car started and ran to drive it
on and off of my car trailer, and then started again
several times as I played with the carburetor.  After
some adjustments, I turned off the car left it for a
bit, and when I returned the car will not start.

I can hear a muffled, very fast "th-th-th-th-th" from
the area where the starter is, but it is as if the
starter gear is not engaging.  It was not the typical
failed solenoid single click sound.

I have put the car into "L" and rocked the car back
and forth, then when that didn't work I tapped on the
started with a mallet. But to no avail.

When I was under the car looking at the starter, I see
that a blue wire off the starter is cut.  Also, when I
had the air cleaner off the car, I noticed that part
of the wiring harness is disconnected.  Right behind
the coil, there are three wires that come off the
harness, a yellow to the coil, an orange one (I think)
to coolant temp sensor, and then a disconnected red
one.  It looks to me like the disconnected red one is
supposed to plug into that vacuum sensor that prevents
the starter from engaging when you shift into neutral
while the car is running.  If I have identified it
right, this sensor is on the intake manifold right
behind the carburetor, but the plug was busted off of
it.  I pulled an extra, used vacuum sensor from my
stock of 196 parts, but it didn't solve the starting
problem when I put it on and connected the wire.

This is my first 327 engine, so I'm sort of in the
dark here. My questions are:

- where does the blue white from the starter go?
- is the vacuum sensor in fact what I found behind the
carb?

I did have a quick look at the TSM but couldn't locate
these wires in my limited time to problem solve.

If I need a replacement starter for this car, does
anyone see on on Ebay right now that will fit?

Thanks,

Justin