Re: [AMC-List] Front Shocks for 63 American

Re: [AMC-List] Front Shocks for 63 American

" From: eddie walker <thematadorman@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Any mopar from 1955-1988 except A body 1962-1974 with drum brakes (valiant, barracuda, lancer, swinger,scamp etc.) will work .  A bodies with disc brakes had the bigger 5 X 4 1/2 .They were all 5 X 4 1/2 including trucks, vans Ramchargers.. Truck and Ramchargers and vans went to a 5X5 in mid to late 80's.I think 85 or 86. I am not sure.

many 1/2t pickups [4x4?] and equivalent vans had 5x5.5" lugs, but the
'low end' were 5x4.5".

" I have 1969 dodge Polara rims on my 77 Matador and 62 Dodge rims on my Concord.

i have '83 lebaron 15x7s on my '65 american with big bendix disks.
they fit like gloves - except for the hubcaps.  i planned to run
mopar taxi/van nonames, the only ones i could find without logo or
lettering.  i would've liked rambler caps even more but they clearly
don't fit.

i've always thought the mopar rallies, or the 15x8" repros, would look
killer on the '67 marlin i had, or probably any '67-8 ambo coupe or
convert.

"   Almost all Ramchargers had 15 X 8 rims in the 70's and were an option on trucks. Dodge Magnum had slotted 15 X 7 and had a center cap. Police cars and taxis had slotted 15 X 7 and hubcaps...Super Coupes, Kit Cars, and Little Red Express trucks were 15 X 8 and were slotted with chrome on the trucks......lots of them out there ......eddie walker

there was a rare slotted 15x8 that was offered with flares in a
'richard petty' volare kit along about '78.

my point was that there was a hubcap size change in the mid '60s, and
-i-think- [based on an application chart for a kelsey aftermkt
replacement] that pre-change mopars take the same cap size as amc.
and mopar used 14x6", 14x6.5", and 15x6" fairly widely about '60 +/-
a few years.  they wouldn't likely fit disks, bot for a drum '63
american...

radials like wide wheels.  even if you run the stock size equivalent
they'll be happier if you add 1 - 1.5".  i can confirm for later
americans that 185/78r14 go on 14x6" without any difficulty.

btw those ramcharger wheels are about as heavy as you'd expect for a
6000+ lb truck.  i hefted one and it felt about twice the weight of a
rambler 14x4.5".