Re: [AMC-List] 69 Vs 70 suspension

The trunion is not the limiting facter in these cars. In stock config, I would point more towards spring rate,tire,lack of sway bars,slow vague steering box. None of thisis fixed by getting rid of the trunion. The only bolt in replacement that I know of really is just a bolt in fancy trunion! Not a true ball joint at all. I mounts a coil over, no big improvement to a strret car.
My current American set up is Prothane bushings except for rubber struts.
low pressure Gabriel gas classic [IIRC] shocks
used V-8 Roque springs.
1 5/8" lowering plates.
205/60/15 front runners on GM repop 15X7" rally wheels withplain police caps.
rear is AMC15 with doubled leaf srings 1.5" lowering blocks. cracked rubber bushings.
Hydraulic shocks off a parts car.
255/60/15 on the GM rallys.
My plans are to install front and rear sway bars, new urethane rear spring bushings and it will be done ,someday. I would never consider cutting the front off this car to fix something that ain't broke.
  However as-is it handles excellent, lacks a bit of road feel due to the 73 Hornet box I use. In stock config it floated and swayed.
  The only thing I can say is if'n I was cuttin I would likely committ sacrilege and install the heavier mustang II system. Tha extra room you gain and the incredible availability of bolt in parts plus the rack just plain seem to me to out weigh the dissadvantage of it being heavy.
 Anyone know how much heavier the MII is???
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net
Morgantown, WV