[AMC-List] AMCer's Opinions: Survivor/Vintage vs. Restored

[AMC-List] AMCer's Opinions: Survivor/Vintage vs. Restored

>should I
>remove the engine to detail and paint, or leave in the engine bay and
>clean and detail only(leaving the original "patina")?

This question made me chuckle.  No disrespect meant, it just took me back to simpler times and an interesting girlfriend.

I picked up my girlfriend on Friday night, it was summer the year of our Lord 1973.  What to do, what to do?  Go cruising like most other Friday nights and end up at our usual make out spot?  Hey, I have an idea, lets take the Hornet down to the shop, pull the engine and clean the engine compartment!  You ready to get dirty?  She agreed and sat patiently on the parts counter while I pulled out the 304 w/Ford FMX attached.  I cleaned the engine/trans while she cleaned the compartment.  We took a couple breaks, but I had her home by midnight and the Hornet had a sparkling engine, fresh coat of satin black where I thought it looked best and the engine compartment hadn't been that clean since I had purchased the car.

Yeah, I was a gear head, or rather I am a gear head.  Last I had heard that girlfriend was living outside Madison, WI.  5' tall, 105lbs soaking wet.  That was last I heard....

Hornet Report:

Well, she turned over 14,725 this morning on the way to work.  The gas gage has given up completely and doesn't even move.  The low fuel light quit too.  Oh well.  I have one weekend free between now and Cordova to work things out, but for now I just apply my motorcycle mentality and watch the odometer.  Well that and I carry two gallons of fuel in the trunk. :-)

Spirit Report:

I haven't done much on the Spirit since last report.  I did manage to install a new transmission mount, not only was it broke, but the top bolts were gone and I discovered that the carbon canister connections are gone, rotted right off.  The more I look at that mass of vacuum lines, half cut, one fourth of those are open, another fourth are plugged with golf tees and the balance are hook to something, right or wrong I'm starting to consider replacement of the fuel system to something simpler.  Comments, suggestions or condemnations welcome.

Jack