Re: [AMC-List] AMCer's Opinions: Survivor/Vintage vs. Restored

Re: [AMC-List] AMCer's Opinions: Survivor/Vintage vs. Restored

Mark, if you want to compete, keep it as a "survivor" then. If you're
more interested in enjoying the car and showing it off, even if you're
not likely to win, pull the engine and do a thorough job. You just need
to decide what you want from the car and hobby. Personally, I'm
surprised when I win something with my highly modified car, but I have.
I take it and show it because I'm proud of my unique ride and work I
put into it. I'm not competeing -- it's a real daily driver! I hate
when people put "weekend drivers" (but only if it's fair weather!) in
the "daily driver" class. It's unfair, but AMO rules state a car has to
be driven only 2500 miles (may be 1500?) a year to be classed as a
"daily driver". I take mine back and forth to work and anywhere else I
want/need to go!! So it's not competitive even with other modified
cars. I enjoy showing it anyway.

On August 18, 2006 markskur1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Fellow AMCer's,
> I have decision to make with my 74 AMX(32,000 original miles):
> This car is an original, non-restored, survivor:  Original
paint(great condition), glass, interior, chrome, stainless, exhaust
system.  The motor and tranny have never been separated and removed.
> My decision: should I remove the engine to detail and paint, or leave
in the engine bay and clean and detail only(leaving the original
"patina")?