Re: [AMC-List] 1967 232 six thermostat housing stud broken in head

Re: [AMC-List] 1967 232 six thermostat housing stud broken in head

John,

It's screwed in. Note that 1964-67 uses a different thermostat housing than
later models. I'm not sure if this is an auto parts store part anymore or
not but I know Kennedy American sells cast iron replacements that don't
suffer from this problem. Originals are made of aluminium (if you want an
aluminum one, keep an eye out on eBay or put a want add in a club news
letter). These were not always painted from the factory but I would paint a
cast iron one to keep it from turning into a rusty lump on the front of
your engine. When you replace the stud, be aware that there's a course side
that screws into the block and a fine side that the nut goes onto. Also,
the hardware on each stud should be a flat washer (goes against the
housing), a lock washer, and then the nut.

Matt

At 10:48 AM 8/19/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>All,
>
>I was removing the thermostat housing on my 1967 Rambler Rebel 232 six cyl
>thermostat housing and the housing was seized to the long stud.  Not know
>that
>the housing corroded to the stud I broke the stud.screwed/pressed into the
>head.
>
>Can anyone tell me if the stud has screws into the head or is the stud
>pressed into the head?
>
>I have purchased a left handed screw extractor from Sears and I am prepared
>to try and remove the stud thinking it is a threaded stud.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>John
>San Jose Ca
>
>or go to http://www.amc-list.com