Re: [AMC-List] 242 fuel injection question

Re: [AMC-List] 242 fuel injection question

The Jeep engine manual published by Daimler Benz (Mopar) recommends
the following cams

Phase 1  Duration 240/240  overlap 24 degrees  Lift .430/.430
Phase 2  Duration 248/248  overlap 32 degrees  Lift .440/.440
Phase 3  Duration 256/256  overlap 40 degrees  Lift .450/.450

The Phase represents a performance objective and the cams are more
aggressive for each phase.

I run an Iskenderian 256 super cam in my fuel injected 258 and am
quite happy with it,
Duration 256/256     Lift .450  and 111 degree lob center.

It has a good idle and pulls hard up through 5500 rpm.

It seems to me a lobe center around 110 degree or better is recommended
 for a fuel injected configured engine whether philosophy has changed or

not I do not know.

For using a final drive of 3.50:1 for general driving with a 1:1 final
gear in
your transmission, I would think that the gearing is bit short for a
long stroke
I-6 engine. They are not happy rpm engines and I would think overall
performance
would not be satisfactory, 'specially gas mileage. Something closer to a
low
3:1 would seem more appropriate to me, but to each it's own.

I also do not subscribe to the theory that an old I-6 engine is a torque
monster
'cause they're not. Check the specs. What little torque they do develop
is generally
around 1500 rpm and then they run out of power so my preference is to
build an I6
as a little horse-power engine and cam accordingly. They are a lot more
fun that way.

There are plenty of options out there and lots of manufacturers. Check
with the tech.
support group for your cam shaft manufacturer of choice for additional
information.
I have used a number of Iskenderian cams over the years and their tech
support
has always been a first class group.
John