Re: [AMC-List] AMC Engine Blocks?

>[AMC-List] AMC Engine Blocks?`
>
>Date: Wednesday, August 9, 2006 08:16 AM
>
>Who manufactured the AMC engine blocks?
>
>A Side from the "Whose buried in Grant tomb comment?"
>AMC made there own engine blocks. I believe what you mean is who
>cast the AMC engines blocks.? They were machined in Kenosha but most were
>cast at Holmes Foundry in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. A 70's acquisition
>of an old Ford foundry and unfortunately the worlds dirtiest foundry. My
>understanding Chrysler closed it down after buying AMC and there are still
>worker lawsuit on health issues on going. Earlier on AMC had its own Foundry
>in Kenosha I believe and blocks and aluminum parts were cast and
>machined there.
>As things got more specialized the foundry work was moved to larger
>outside suppliers.

Excerpt from a report by the Canadian Auto Workers Union (CAW) on the
history of Holmes foundry:

Holmes Foundry of Sarnia, Ontario, was established in 1918. It was
originally owned by Mr. J.S. Blunt and was called Holmes Blunt
Limited. In those early years, Ford Motor Company contracted the
plant for a steady supply of engine casting blocks.

[snipped some health, safety, and labor comments]

American Motors (AMC) acquired twenty-five percent interest in the
plant in January of 1966. At that time, the plant had supplied AMC
with motor castings (blocks) since 1962. In July of 1970, American
Motors acquired 100% of Holmes Foundry. It was not until October of
1981 that Holmes Foundry finally became a Division of American
Motors, Canada.

[snip information on other Holmes operations]

With the acquisition of AMC, Chrysler Corporation took ownership of
the Holmes Foundry facility and its manufacturing business in 1987.
Chrysler scheduled the operation for closure on September 16, 1988,
which ended Holmes Foundry's seventy-year legacy of exposing workers
to harmful and excessive hazards.

Source: http://www.caw.ca/whatwedo/health&safety/holmesfoundry/review.asp

--
Glen Hoag                               '75 Pacer 258 (x3)
hoag@xxxxxx                             '76 Pacer 258 (for parts)