Re: [AMC-List] AMC Engine Blocks?

[AMC-List] AMC Engine Blocks?`

Date: Wednesday, August 9, 2006 08:16 AM

Who manufactured the AMC engine blocks?

A Side from the "Whose buried in Grant tomb comment?"
AMC made there own engine blocks. I believe what you mean is who
cast the AMC engines blocks.? They were machined in Kenosha but most were
cast at Holmes Foundry in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. A 70's acquisition
of an old Ford foundry and unfortunately the worlds dirtiest foundry. My
understanding Chrysler closed it down after buying AMC and there are still
worker lawsuit on health issues on going. Earlier on AMC had its own Foundry
in Kenosha I believe and blocks and aluminum parts were cast and
machined there.
As things got more specialized the foundry work was moved to larger
outside suppliers.
The cylinder heads and timing chain covers were done some where in
Ohio at one time , I remember
seeing on a factory tour in Kenosha. The 6 cylinder cranks were made
by GM , chevy in that case for AMC and the V-8 cranks by Ford for
AMC. AMC use to make the 6 cylinder ring and pinions for GM rear
ends. That was the first thing you saw on a couple of the tours I
took threw Kenosha. Larry R. Daum mramc@xxxxxxxxxxx