[AMC-List] 70 AMX Grille?

------> Now this is my idea of taking the initiative
in AMC land.  Also the various projects on metal
grilles, replacement panels etc.  SAVE AMC! Hand craft
it if we have to.  Values will rise accordingly as the
brand becomes known for the quality of its ownership.

Quote:

Tom,
I sent Dick at cyberfx a few pictures of my grille
with dimentions and
they
will be able to give me some more info on Monday.
Who knows, maybe there are better ways to skin the cat
today.
Don

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Don Johnson wrote:
>
>> Thank you for posting that info.
>> I looked into getting a mould done for the 70 AMX (
I have a NOS
grille
>> for the pattern). Here in Montreal, the cheapest
injection mould was
>> going to run me between $30K & $50K and I believe
that included a
laser
>> scan in the production process. The mould was to be
made out of
metal and
>> would have weighed about 5000 lbs.
>
> All that cyberfx does is the scan, and the foam
model. From
> there molds would have to be made, etc,and I know
zero zilch
> about that. Erika (friend getting the scan done) is
gettin
> expert at thermosetting urethanes, epoxies, etc, and
does
> human-sized transparent castings with near-zero
bubbles.
> She's done bronze casting too. This stuff can be
done.

> If someone were enterprising enough it would
probably be doable
> to make your own mold -- depending on the complexity
of the AMX
> grille, which I have never seen off a car -- and do
one-off hand
> castings in some sort of epoxy resin, but that would
require
> a research project. It's probably **just** doable at
home,
> and probably a dozen hours per grille of hand labor.
$$$

----> Tom is exactly right. It definitely CAN be done
at home. Don't let my techno-crap discourage you. Use
such information to figure out how it CAN BE done at
home or in a small shop.
mike