Re: [AMC-List] My Hubba Hubba Gremlin

Doc,

Have you ever heard the phrase: If it ain't broke
don't fix it?"

That's why I didn't pull the axle when I had the hub
off.  There was no sign of leakage from the seal and I
haven't driven the car yet to know if there was any
unusual noise in the rearend.  I'm just trying to put
this car back on the road in a safe dependable
condition, not restore it.  I do believe in replacing
high wear items if I have a unit apart, but lots of
little Gremmies live their whole life without needing
rear axle seals or wheel bearings.  Besides it's only
a 258 auto.  I'm not gonna race it.

I did buy new brake drums after all.  No Rambler
mentality here.  I could have reused the existing
drums since they weren't "at" limits yet.  I have put
in new door hinge busshing, new shocks and have new
brake hoses to go on.  The engine room has all new
hoses.  So much for this kind of thing.

As for pulling the hub, like I said, I have a hub
puller and a shop press so it was no big deal except
for the force required to get the hub off.  The rist
hub I pulled was on my Pacer and it was disconcerting
because I didn't realize just how much force you have
to apply.  I kept using a bigger hammer until I got
the job done.  But big hammers have gotten me into
trouble before and I was leary.

As for torgueing the nut.  Your comments are noted.  I
plan to do that, but 1.5 (18 inches) x 216 pounds
equals 324 pounds of torque applied already.  I was
standing on the extension.  There's lots of truck
shops in Salinas though who I'm sure have the proper
torque wrench so I'll stop soon and have it torqued.
The car is not running yet and besides I don't have
the proper torque wrench.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA