[AMC-List] Hubba Hubba Gremlin

Well, for those of you who care, I pulled the rear hub
on the Gremlin in order to replace the broken lug
stud.  The studs are 1 7/8-in long and a new stud
would have fit into the hole from the rear of the hub,
but I wasn't prepared to swage it into place like Tom
J. suggested.  Besides I have a hub puller and shop
press, so I just decided to bite the bullet and pull
the hub.  It took my five pound long handled sledge
pounding on the hub puller "handle", but I got it off
with no trauma to the car.   I used my Mexican torque
wrench (216 pound body on an 18-inch extension) to
torque the hub nut back into place.

The car needs new rear shoes too, so I got those at
Kragens.  They amazingly had those in stock.  I took
the drums to Midas down the street to have them turned
and they were almost out of limits (10.060 limit) and
the "tech" refused to put the Midas touch on them. I
have a 77 Hornet AMX I am parting out which could
supply drums I think, but decided that new drums would
be better so I ordered them from rockauto.com.  Not
cheap but they'll be here in three days.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA