Re: [AMC-List] interchange questions

" From: "harry bublitz" <nash126@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hello AMC fans, I'm looking for more info i have gotten some good advice
" from Jim Blair thanks Jim. I searching for all possibilities that will work.
" I have a project started I'm learning as i go i have a 68 javelin sst. I
" have a 1970 390-V8 complete except intake that needs to be rebuilt. I have a
" 290-V8 with automatic transmission I don't know the condition of the tranny.
" I just bought a 1980 j-10 jeep 360-V8 4x4 727 automatic tranny. Here's my
" question since this is a 4x4 trany is there different methods or needs to
" installing it in my 68 javelin. If it's going to be a headache I'd like to
" use the automatic trany off the 290 what will i need to do to make it work?
" Harold nash126@xxxxxxxxxxx
" ==========================================

is the 290 a 2bbl or 4bbl motor?  is the auto with it aluminum or iron
case?

the aluminum auto is at its outer limit coping with a 2bbl 290 in a
light car.  it can be built [by someone who knows them - both amc and
import versions - backwards and forwards] to handle a 4bbl 290 or 304,
but that's -it-.  forget about putting it behind a 360.

if it's an iron auto, it's strong enough for a 401.  you'll need a
'70-1 360 flexplate at least, to put it on the jeep motor.  it's
getting harder to find tranny shops that know what these are, though
ford used a relative through the '70s.

the 727 can be swapped back to 2wd with only a few parts, but one of
them is the tailshaft and that means a fairly complete teardown.  i
don't know of any other way to use it.