Re: [AMC-List] 85 Eagle 4x4

A: If you score a lockup version of the 727, the mileage drop will be minimal on the hwy. The '80 to '83 Cherokee also came with 999 as an option behind the 6 cyl (you can tell which is which by the pan shape) The 32RE (and probablt 32RH as well) have weak lockup converters. I have 3 in my pile of cores that suddenly quit making the Jeep/Eagle/Concord move. Often just as they pulled to a stop. I stripped the trannies down and there wasn't even more than a smudge of grit in the pans. Last one I pulled the pan on, found nothing obvious inside and I just put another converter in to make it go again. She's still driving that '79 Concord AFAIK. She has my phone number should she ever decide to sell it (one owner with only 30,000 miles when I fixed the trans)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] 85 Eagle 4x4
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"    A VERY nice upgrade for the Eagles with automatic is the
727 from an '80
" to '91 Grand Wagoneers (easy to spot in the junkyard because
the front
" driveshaft is driver's side, same as the Eagle). Much stronger
than the 998
" (especially in the torque converter dept and load haulling and
a direct bolt
" in with very minor parts swapping from the old one)

it will cost you mileage though.  the 727 takes almost twice as
much
hp to spin as the 998.

a jeep wrangler tf999 aka 32rh [-not- 32re!] is also stronger in
the
converter area and should be a drop-in if the 727 is.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought

Jim Blair, Seattle, WA '84 J10 Black Jack (getting lifted and stroked!), '73 J4000 304/TH400/QT tow truck http://www.virtualjeep.com