Re: [AMC-List] getting an '87 Eagle Wagon

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, Wm. Neal Lewis wrote:

> As to a muffler job, Midas quoted me about $350.
> Another national shop was in the same region. They both said the pipes are
> not standard and they would have to bend them on site.

This is one of those east coast/west coast things; here in CA
pretty much no one I know messes with those pre-formed tailpipe
parts; you just go to a muffler shop that bends the stuff up on
the spot, all welded.  My 258 six Hornet, done last spring, cost
under $200 (I supplied the Summit muffler). Took an hour, it's
bigger than stock and a hell of a lot fewer bends and no flats.

When I lived in the Boston area, (left there in 1984...) muffler
shops had dozens of those pre-bent pipes with swaged ends hanging
all over the walls, all held together with those crappy clamps.
If I remember right, bending tubing was not common.

Could be just old warped memory though.

The irony of all this is, with all the road salt the welded
system would work a lot better; water wouldn't creep into the
stupid clamed joints. ANd the clamp-together stuff would last
a hell of a lot longer in CA, with anti-seize, you probably
COULD take it apart later!

Except for actual restoration, why does anyone mess with those
annoying and rare parts?