Re: [AMC-List] Quick ratio steering boxes

Re: [AMC-List] Quick ratio steering boxes

" From: "Widiker, John D" <john.widiker@xxxxxxx>
"
" Well it seems that the Saginaw steering boxes from Jeep Grand Cherokees
" from 1992 to 1998 had 2.75 turns lock to lock. They use the same bolts
" and pattern as the old boxes on our stuff.

not only that, they have a relatively stiff 'high feel' t-bar in the
control valve.

i'm wondering if all jeeps had the fast boxes.  my gf's '01 cherokee
has -very-fast- steering, though i haven't counted turns.

" They have metric fittings, but adapters are available.

you don't need adapters.  the fittings sit in inserts or something,
which are removeable and replaceable with the old fashioned sae
fittings.

you may run into coupling flange mismatch as iirc gm changed it some
time in the mid '60s.  if your tempest is earlier...

another possible mismatch, though not serious: jeep bump stops are
usually pretty wide, like amc.  you may find yourself cranking into
the suspension or sheetmetal on the tempest.

" I'm going to go hunt down 2 of them (one for
" AMX one for Tempest) and see how it goes together, wish me luck. I'll
" report back if it ends up sucking.

we're all listening!