Re: [AMC-List] Halogen Sealed Beam Headlights

A: Once again, materials come into play. HIDs are often in the 17-35 Watt
range but they use a power transformer to fire them up like carbon arc. For
my Jeep, I use Hellas with a 55/100W H4 light and upgraded wiring. If a
vehicle came from the factory with the HIDs, then they are 50 state legal
according to NHTSA. I find the full spectrum lights give better lighting as
blue wavelength is too short for long distance vision unless the wattage is
REALLY pumped up!

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Halogen Sealed Beam Headlights
To: amcrelay@xxxxxxxxxxxx

By federal law you're limited to 55W dim, 60W bright,
headlights. So
you can't legally pull more power. The halogen lights are
brighter
because of the materials they're made with -- they pull no more
power.
It's technically illegal to run higher wattage lights on a
street
vehicle, but some people do. With the modern lights such as HIDs
(also
illegal in some states) and halogens, it's hard to tell if they
are
higher wattage than allowed. Unless you're blinding the cop
coming
toward you he's not likely to ticket you for to bright
headlights!
Unless you're running something like HIDs (obvious by the bluish
glow)
and they are illegal in your state.

IIRC, four headlight systems use all four lights only on dim, so
actually draw more power on dim than bright (55x4=220W;
18A@12V). When
on high beam the inboard lights (dim only) go out (60x2=120W;
10A@12V).
Of course placement of the filament in the bulb (reflector) and
aiming
has a great affect on lighting.