[AMC-List] auto transport

I have shipped a total of 4 cars (2 from California and 2 from Colorado to
Texas)...

There's ALOT of shady auto-transport companies out there and ALOT of
crooked-ness.  All of my transports went fine BUT, the first company
(Southerland transport) that I used (and was happy with) later stiffed ALOT
of people on the internet.  I couldn't believe the crap that they pulled on
other people.

Here's a small sample:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_trans/southerland.html

MOST people you contact (and get quotes from) are brokers.  They do not
move the car.  They take your info and money, and post the pick-up/delivery
on a auto-transporter's network.  They will charge you say $700 and they
will skim about $300 off and then offer $400 for the transport to anyone
going near your destinations.  They don't seem to have any quality control
either (especially for us 'beater-car people').

Now that I have scared you, let me tell you how this works...

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION:
If your pick-up and drop-off locations are along a major transport
corridor, you prices will be low.  You can ship a car from LA to Northern
Virginia cheaper than a car from North Carolina to Tennessee.  I get stuff
delivered to Austin, Texas fairly cheap because it's off I-10 which is the
southern east coast to west coast route.

SPLIT TRANSPORTS:
Brokers can be good because they can split the hauling between two
carriers. One carrier can pick it up and drop it off at a lot then the
other carrier can pick it up. This is DANGEROUS because if the second
carrier doesn't pick up the car, you get charged lot fees and can EASILY
lose the car.  Yes, you can sue the broker but, you won't get
anything.  They just bankrupt that paper company and open a new one the
next day.

NON-RUNNING:
If the car is non-running or the brakes don't work, alot of carriers won't
touch it.  The ones that will, will charge you a $100-150 fee just for
handling.

MY RECOMENDATION:
For the first two transports, I used brokers (and didn't think to get the
name of the actual transporter).  For the third transport I located an
actual transporter and not a broker.  I was happy with them so for my 4th
transport, I called them back. They did 2 good transports for me.

	All in One Transport
	20854 Hwy 59 South, #11
	New Caney, Texas 77357
	281-354-6699
	All in One runs carriers all over the country.

MY TRANSPORTS:
1) Denver, Colorado to Austin, Texas / Southerland (broker) / ~$700
(running car)
2) Northern California (coast) to Austin, Texas / ??? (broker) / ~$400
(running car)
3) Flager, Colorado to Austin, Texas / All in 1 (transporter) / ~$700
(non-running car)
4) Los Angeles, California to Austin, Texas / All in 1 (transporter) /
~$500 (running car)